We are changing the format of the Ohio Challenge Series for 2018. Here are the 2018 Guideline:
1. To be part of the Ohio Challenge Series you must opt in to participate. Races run before you join will not be tabulated. There is not a deadline for joining, but your age is based on your birth date as of the first race of the Series-Selfless Elf 5K, December 16, 2017. This will determine your age group for the entire year. (updated 2/19/2019). This applies to the walk and 5K Run, but the date will be different for 10K and the Half Marathon. 10K will be March 25th and Half marathon will be April 8th.
2. There will be 4 categories: 5K & under (5K Series), Over a 5K and up to & including 10K (10K Series), over a 10K and up to and including Half marathon (Half Marathon Series), and a (Competitive Walking Series). We will indicate along with the races on the calendar on this site the applicable Series Category or Categories for each event. This will be indicated by *5 for 5K Series, *10 for 10K Series, *H for Half Series, and * W for the competitive Walking Series.
3. Once you enter the Series, you are eligible for all categories. Each Category is scored separately so if you only want to do 5 races a year, you can just pick the category of race you desire and compete in that distance. By the same token, you can run many events and compete in as many categories as you wish. You are considered a finisher in a specific category when you complete the minimum number of events in that category. You can run more that the minimum number and your best finishes out of your total are the ones that will count. After listening to your input at the reception, the minimum for 5K is 5 events (One of these events can be a 2 Mile), for the 10K the minimum is 3 events, for the Competitive Walk the minimum is 5 events, and for the Half Marathon the minimum is 2 events.
4. Points will be calculated based on overall finish position, gender finish position, and age group finish position. There will also be participation points for some events to be determined as the season progresses. Example: For those who participate in Freedom Run Series Events, bonus points will be awarded for each event in which you participate. The same bonus points will be true for the Wine Series (3 events).
5. Cost to part of the Series is $35.00. (On 4/1/2018 the price increases to $45.00) Your first thought is, “What do I get for my $35.00?” Each registrant will receive a LS /1/4 Zip embroidered with the Ohio Challenge Series Logo.
Battleship Gray to show logo colors
Top Female and Male Finishers in each of the 4 categories will receive a cash award of $250. (If eligible by HS & College Guidelines). Top three in following age groups will receive (in all 4 categories) an award (non-cash award) to be determined. Age Groups for the 5K, 10K, & Half will be: 18 & under, 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, & 80 & over. For the Competitive Walk: 19 & under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59. 60-69, 70-79, 80 & over. Awards will be presented on Saturday, December 1, 2018, at the Tool Shed located at Breitenbach Winery, 5934 Old Rte 39 NW, Dover, Ohio 44622. The get together at Breitenbach Winery is FREE for Series participants and $10.00 for guests. Kids 10 & under are free.